Is Your Jesus and the Bible’s Jesus the same Christ? by Brandi J. Ray

 Happy Pride MonthYes, I said it.

Last month, I was scrolling on Facebook when I saw a post from one of my cousins. In the post was a man, dressed in a suit and heels, celebrating his graduation from Morehouse. Instantly, I scrolled past the post as I knew what my cousin was doing – he was setting up the young man for ridicule. Days later, as the post received more attraction, it reappeared in my news feed. This time, I could not help but notice the comments from many other members of my family – all “Christians.” Ha.

A few examples of the comments that I read include:

·       A disgrace

·       An abomination

·       SMH (shaking my head), despicable!

·       And my favorite of them all – “faggot.” 

I cringed as I watched Bible-toting, choir directing, Sunday-sermon preaching “elders” continue to condemn this young man for his style of dress and for his assumed sexuality. Whew!

Let’s pause this story for a second. In the meantime, I have to ask, is your Jesus and the Bible’s Jesus the same Christ? Don’t worry, I’ll wait.

You know what I love about Christians? I love how we quote scriptures to fit our narrative, and I know you know what I mean. Like, for instance, the way we all quote John 8:7 when Jesus said, “He who is without [any] sin among you, let him be the first to throw a stone at her.” But, as I take Hermeneutics (the science of Biblical interpretation) and New Testament Orientation, both course filled with frequent exegetical assignments, I’m learning a practice that many of us miss. You see, the Bible was written for people that come from a different culture and time significantly different than our own. Although the Bible is inerrant (meaning, the Bible’s truth is without error and applicable to all), you cannot pull out one Scripture without understanding the geographical, historical, linguistic, and cultural contexts. Scripture is not meant to fit our narrative. Instead, it is intended to serve God’s plan, to reconcile and redeem all of His children for His glory. So, before you quote John 8:7 again, ask yourself – am I using this Scripture to fit my narrative, or does my narrative align with the context for its written purpose? Again, don’t worry, I’ll wait.

The story of John 8 is not just about the adulteress woman but also the plot to condemn and kill Jesus. You see, when we meet the adulteress woman in this Scripture, the Pharisees were actually using the adulteress woman to have Jesus break the law. And please remember the law refers to the commands that God gives directly to Moses and the Israelites in the Old Testament. However, as we've come to know about Jesus, Jesus was not here to abolish the law but to fulfill it. Why? Well, for two reasons: first, because of performative Christianity. At some point, the Jews (because Christian conversion was not yet available) were using the law as a measurement stick to prove allegiance to God. Secondly, because even when a believer attempted to practice the law if they did not uphold every law, they were, in theory, breaking all of the law. Need more context? Go visit Matthew 5.

Nonetheless, the Pharisees challenged Jesus and His knowledge of the law. You see, by using the adulteress woman, which at the time also referred to cheating and prostitution, and trying to condemn her, they were ultimately giving Jesus an ultimatum. Either Jesus would allow the adulteress woman to be stoned, which was reflective of Deuteronomy and Leviticus' laws or Jesus would reject them from casting the stones. Don't see how this is a problem? Sure, let me give you some cultural context. If Jesus denied the stoning, He would break the very law that He came to fulfill. However, if Jesus allowed the stoning, He would be breaking the Roman law (the government policy) which did not allow for the Jews to carry out their own executions. Hence, why the Pharisees had to coordinate with Pilate for Jesus' death.

So, what did Jesus do? Jesus neither rejected nor approved the stoning. Instead, He did give permission for the adulteress woman to be stoned. However, only by those who had not sinned. Ha! That man Jesus is quite clever.

Now, if you don’t mind, let’s get back to the adulteress woman. Since we love to quote this Scripture, I’m sure you can guess what that meant for the adulteress woman, right? Right. But, for all intents and purposes, let’s review. When Jesus said, “He who is without [any] sin among you, let him be the first to throw a stone at her,” in theory, He was saying, “If any of you are perfect, be my guest, and condemn her.” However, we know from verses 9-11, one by one, every person left. Thus, saying to the adulteress woman in verse 10, “Woman, where are they? Did no one condemn you?” To which, in verse 11, she says, “No one, Lord.”

What makes this revolutionary and, better yet, what makes Jesus revolutionary at this moment, is that Jesus showed His saving power. When Jesus formed His disciples, He didn’t go to the Pharisees (in our day and age, the Pastors and ministers); he chose your average, day-to-day worker. When Jesus befriended Mary and Martha, He was revolutionary because women in that time were not respected enough to be respected and valued by men – let alone a Rabbi or teacher. And when Jesus saved the adulteress woman from condemnation, He was foreshadowing the same gift of grace that we all like to boast. Through the adulteress woman, Christ showed that even those we deem the lowest in society can still be given grace, can still have protection, and still give a chance to go and sin no more.

So, I have to ask you again: Is your Jesus and the Bible’s Jesus the same Christ?

I’m not here to argue nor defend the case for God’s approval of homosexuality. That’s not my call, and I recognize my limitations. However, do you? But what I am here to argue and defend is that gentile and believer alike are both offered the same invitation to Christ and the same gift of grace. Who are you that you feel compelled to condemn others for the sins you believe they commit? Did Jesus not save you from your storms, your seasons, and your wickedness? Why, all of a sudden, do we begin to limit God and His power when it comes to homosexuality? If we go with the idea that homosexuality is, in fact, a sin, wouldn’t that same Jesus that saved you be as powerful and graceful enough to save them?

20 verses later, from the adulteress woman’s story’s end, Jesus says, “If you abide in My word [continually obeying My teachings and living in accordance with them, then] you are truly My disciples.” When Christ talks about bearing fruit in John 15 or when Paul reiterates the evidence of bearing fruit in Galatians 5, did either one teach you to pass judgment? Did they tell you that calling someone an abomination or faggot was representing God to the best of your ability? Did they give you permission to exclude and banish someone from the church because of their sexuality? No. No, they did not.

As a matter of fact, Christ told the adulteress woman in verse 11, “I do not condemn you either.” Paul, in Galatians 6, taught to restore those in a spirit of gentleness. Each of these reflects Christ’s greatest commands to love the Lord your God and love your neighbor. Where is your love for even those you deem lowly and unworthy?

Would not the very same people that you think need Jesus so much need to know Him more intently, need to come to church and, need to experience grace and love for restoration?

So, I ask you, again, is your Jesus and the Bible’s Jesus the same Christ? Because if the answer is yes – then we would, as a Christian collective, would do far better in representing Christ on this Earth. We would be mindful of our own hypocrisies and seek the Spirit’s regenerating power to be renewed each moment of our day. We would not fall victim to this world’s spiritual warfare and use our tongues to destroy the esteem and the worth of individuals Christ still loves.

So, today, I leave you with three things.

First, to my brothers and sisters in the LGBTQ+ community, I apologize. I apologize on behalf of the church for whatever hurt, trauma and, exclusion you have felt in the name of God. Please know that you are a recipient of the gift of what Christ did on Calvary. And because of this, as Romans 8 teaches, nothing can ever separate us from God’s love that was revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Second, to my brothers and sisters contending for the faith, I plead with you to be mindful of how we represent God. Not just with our brothers and sisters in the LGBTQ+ community but with all people and all things. Let us remember our freedom in Christ, that the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. As Christ taught in John 15, it is to the Father’s glory that we bear much fruit, showing ourselves to be Christ’s disciples.

And third, when in doubt, let us remember: “He who is without [any] sin among you, let him be the first to throw a stone at her.” When any of us seeks to pick up a stone, we are placing ourselves in the position to also be stoned. And if Jesus would not condemn the adulteress woman, I’ll take a stab and say, nor would He condemn you. So, go and sin no more.

Be kind to yourself, 

Mrs. Brandi J. Ray

Comments