A Kingdom Presence in Exile: Part I by Brandi J.W. Ray

 

We all know it very well. “For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.” Yet, how is it that one of the most beloved Scriptures is often misquoted?

Although the truth about the Bible is that it is infallible – without error; how many of us can really tell us who God was talking to and why? How many of us genuinely understand the exchange God was making in this passage?

Exile 

The first thing we need to establish about Jeremiah 29 is that the people, God’s people are in exile. The Israelites have been removed from their land as some consequence and punishment for their actions by this point. However, what the people did not understand was under whose authority their exile was appointed.

So, let’s go back. How did the Israelites wind up in exile? Well, that’s a three-fold answer.

First, themselves. Do you remember that story about Moses and “let my people go?” Yeah? Great. So, you also remember when God gave Moses the Ten Commandments, right? Right. But, what happened next? They, the Israelites, happened next. Like always, we tend to get comfortable with God. He does something to our liking, and we forget about Him until we need Him again. Go figure. 

What people fail to realize is that the “Law” was an exchange. God would give them what He promised as long as they followed the Ten Commandments. But, instead, they decided to do whatever they wanted. Need more background? Go visit Deuteronomy 28:58-64 to hear God’s warning to the Israelites.

Secondly, King Nebuchadnezzar II happened. Sometime after Exodus and Deuteronomy, there were a bunch of wars that occurred. Some won, some lost. Final result? King Nebuchadnezzar won and placed the Israelites in exile.

The real answer? God happened. While the Israelites liked to blame King Nebuchadnezzar for their exile, the truth is, God used him as an instrument to place his people in exile – just as He promised would happen if they didn’t listen to Him.

What’s the phrase? A hard head makes a soft bottom? Got it. 

Prophecy

So, when we meet Jeremiah, the prophet, he is prophesizing to both the Israelites and their enemies. Before we even reach the 11th verse of Jeremiah 29, there are instructions from God that Jeremiah is sharing with the people.

Between verses 4-9, God gives Jeremiah plain and interesting instructions to share with the Israelites. In short? Make a home, multiply, and pray for your enemies while you’re at it.

There are multiple ways to look at these instructions so, I’ll go with the primary two. First, God is telling them, “Yup, you’re going to be here for a while. Get comfortable.” Conversely, He’s also saying, “I have work for you to do.” 

Somehow, in this season of consequence, God is still urging them to increase. 

It reminds me of punishment in my childhood years. Whenever I disappointed my mom to the point of consequence, she’d place me on “lockdown.” As she removed my devices and distractions, my time and attention were freed up to learn and reconcile my disobedience. Without the internet, my cell phone, and the chance to be with my friends – I had no excuse to not dedicate my time to her instructions. If she told me to clean my room, I cleaned it. If I had to take out the trash, I did it. Through the trial of punishment, she held my attention long enough to practice discipline and obedience. When I had the free will and luxury of freedom, my sights were on my desires, not her commands. However, when I wanted to be free from my punishment, I ensured that I followed each order to never wind up in this exile again.

Didn’t I say, “a hard head makes a soft bottom?”

Whenever we disappoint God to the point of consequence, whenever He gives us an inch, and we decide to take a mile, He will appoint an instrument, a season, to drive us into exile. He will strip us of the things we love the most, take us out of our comfort, and remind us that He is in control. God will summon a season just for you – one of isolation and exile that you may quiet yourself long enough to remember Him and take heed to His instructions for you.

And the instruction is still to multiply.

Even amid isolation and exile, God is entrusting you. Whether of a little or a lot, God is asking, “What are you going to do with what I’ve given you?” I have still given you a role and a task in this season – will you fulfill it? Will you increase in stature? Will you grow in your faith?

Promise

So, finally, we’ve made it to verse 11. We’ve made it to that point where God reminds His people that I am still good even in appointing a season of discipline.

In this exile, I will not hurt you, I will grow you, this consequence will not be final. However, and I’ll switch over to the MSG version, verses 12-14 says:

“When you call on me, when you come and pray to me, I’ll listen. When you come looking for me, you’ll find me.”

God’s plans for us are not the promise. The promise is Him. The promise is that you will have a relationship with Him. 

Verse 13 of the ESV says, “You will seek me and find, when you seek me with all your heart.” 

God’s plans for His people were that they find Him – with their hearts. He hoped for them to long for Him – to long for Him long enough that they’d long to obey every will of His. 

The plans God has for us cannot be fulfilled until we long for Him and the plans He has. God would deliver them but only when their deliverance was from their own selves. God would take care of them, but only until they cared for Him. 

You won’t know God’s plans for you until you know God; until you call upon Him with a heart willing to listen.

Conclusion

It is assuring to have the confidence to know that we serve a God that has plans for us – to give us a future and hope. However, we cannot access these plans until our will is Him. As you move forward in this life, quoting this Scripture, I pray that you will understand that the promise is God. What He wants to do with and for you cannot happen until you call upon Him and require Him.

May you remember that even in exile, in a season of consequence, that God wants you to increase in faith, in your need for Him and build your home on His Word – that your freedom from the chains of bondage is molded in the key of His heart.

Be kind to yourself,

Mrs. Brandi J.W. Ray

 

Comments